Wednesday, March 12, 2014

In the beginning

To quote Julie Andrews, "Let's start at the very beginning; a very good place to start!"

*Warning: this first post will be the mushiest, gushiest, sappiest of them all! no more after this, I swear!*

My sweet, sweet grandmother has told me since I was but a wee babe that I have a servant's heart.  I am only just now beginning to understand what that means, but I think Grandma Betty might be right.  When I look back on the 24 years of life I've lived so far, the moments that have defined me the most, have shaped me and inspired me the most, are the moments spent in service of others.  Thanks to Grandma Betty, and many others who provided me with opportunities to be humbled through service, I was brought up with a solid foundation in compassion and activism.
Grandma Betty with 8 of her grandkids and 1 great-grandkid.
As I've grown older and learned more and more about the great big world that surrounds us all, my desire to make a difference, to make a positive impact in even the smallest way, has all but consumed me.  There is nothing that fulfills me more, and no time that I am more compelled to push myself farther, than advocating for those who cannot advocate for themselves.  This led me to law school; because knowledge is power.  Lawyers, in particular, are in a position to effect change in a way that others cannot.  Through writing legislation, becoming a Judge and deciding what that legislation means, running for public office (fun fact: 25 out of 44 U.S. Presidents have been lawyers), representing the underprivileged as a public defender, representing the victimized as a public prosecutor, or by many other means (fun fact *aren't they so fun!*: 4 of the 6 past directors of UNICEF were lawyers first), lawyers are at the forefront of change. 


Recently, an opportunity presented itself and I decided to pursue a goal well beyond my reach.  Under-qualified and inexperienced, I somehow (Jesus, much?) managed to land the internship of a lifetime with UNICEF's director of advocacy in Tel Aviv, Israel. I will spend three months this summer drafting reports on the implementation of the United Nation's treaty "The Convention on the Rights of the Child" to be submitted to the U.N.  This is a human rights initiative focusing on insuring basic human rights for every child in every nation around the world, and I am humbled beyond words at being given an opportunity like this. 
I want to say THANK YOU to everyone who helped me during the application and interview process, and THANK YOU to all of my precious family and friends who, for some inexplicable reason, love me unconditionally.  I cannot wait to share every step of my journey with you, starting from today until my return from Israel.

I'll leave you with this:  my passport photograph from day before yesterday.  the nice(ish) lady with the camera said I couldn't wear my glasses, couldn't smile, and had to tip my head down.  Tipping my head down a little, I glanced up at her and said "like this?" She snapped the picture and said "all done."  This is the result:
I look like a thirty five year old male terrorist with sideburns, but it's fine.
Really, it's ok. I'm fine.
Can I get a do-over?
It's fine.

Oh, and lastly I want to include a link to a fundraising page that allows you do donate to my trip if you feel so led. Because UNICEF is a non-profit organization, there is no compensation for my internship, and I am solely responsible for the costs of flight, transportation, accommodations, etc. 
Any donation will help pay for things like supplies, food, transportation, and (funds permitting) the ability to visit some of the Holy Land's most historic locations such as the Western (Wailing) Wall, Bethlehem, Qasr el Yahud (the site where John the Baptist baptized Jesus), Nazareth (the childhood home of Jesus), the Dead Sea, the Red Sea, etc., etc., etc., etc. 

When initially asked about starting a fundraising page, I was very reluctant because it is not my style to ask for help. (especially money! how embarrassing!) But then I saw this scripture on a friends Facebook post:
“Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8.
It was a much needed reminder that this trip is not about me! I want to make the biggest impact I can this summer, and to do that I need support. Please do not feel obligated or pressured into donating! This is simply a forum to donate if you are led to do so. Thank you all so much for the love and support. It is undeserved, but so much appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. I'm very exicited and proud for you.I wish you the very best luck on your mission and all of your endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lauren!! I will have to stop by and see you guys when I get back! Hopefully I'll have some embarrassing stories to share! :)

      Delete