Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Texas Legislative Internship Program

I have seriously neglected this blog since returning from my internship in Israel, and in that time I have completed another internship- this time a bit closer to home. 

As part of Texas Senator Rodney Ellis' Texas Legislative Internship Program (TLIP), I was selected to spend this Spring 2015 semester as a policy associate with the Texas Criminal Justice Coalition (TCJC). During my time with TCJC, I analyzed and drafted policy and lobbied at the Texas Capitol for various criminal and juvenile justice reforms. 

I have just finished a report on mass incarceration in Louisiana (attached), sparked by my time here with TCJC. It features many of the bill analysis I drafted during my internship, as well as bills from the TCJC legislative agenda. 

It is an incredibly interesting read, in my opinion, and I am very proud of the criminal justice education TLIP and TCJC have provided me during this internship, which I used to write this report. This is an important and relevant issue in our country, and especially in Louisiana, at this time. I am returning from my internship with a passion for criminal justice reform and the knowledge and experience to do something about it. You can view my report here :)   

One of the coolest things that happened during this internship was TCJC's collaboration with the John Legend! I got to spend the day in the presence of a nine-time Grammy award winning musician, so that was the bees knees. 

Also notable, I am in love with Austin, TX. The city is whimsical and electric, and I cannot wait to get back here after graduation! I'm leaving AUX in a few days, but I'll be back in about a month to spend 6 weeks working with TCJC on implementation, etc.

Here are way too many pictures of my epic semester: 





No comments:

Post a Comment