Thursday, May 15, 2014

Halfway Around the World

I have finally arrived in Israel! The trip was oh so long, but oh so awesome! Everything went well with all my flights, they didn't lose my luggage, I didn't lost my passport or get lost in Rome, and nobody tried to murder me. So all in all, I couldn't have asked for a better trip.

The roughest part of my trip halfway around the world was, by far, before I had even left the Jackson, MS airport. We were running late, and then both my bags were WAY overweight (pro tip: vacuum sealing your clothes creates more space, but does not decrease the overall weight of your suitcase). So I had to pull stuff out to get the weight down and the receptionist kept saying "ma'am, you are going to play around and miss your flight" and I'm throwing stuff at my mom and then I cut my finger and got blood all over the place. (see shirt)

In the end, I made it onto the plane and from there onward I had a pretty flawless trip, praise God!  There was this one second wherein I thought I might be stripped searched by Israeli customs because the officer asked me "why Tel Aviv?" and I just started giggling nervously. I managed to say "I have family in Israel" before continuing to nervously giggle, which I followed up with "and I have... an... internship... giggle... with... umm... giggle... Unicef...giggle." It is a miracle they didn't ask me to step to the side for further screening.

I was only in Paris for two hours, but it was enough time to have a macaroon and speak with some nice French people. Also, France from the air way so beautiful! Hopefully I get the chance to return for a longer stay.
Purple toilet paper??
I was able to go into Rome for a day, and what a city! The bed and breakfast where I stayed (Vegan Inn) was absolutely adorable, and the people there were the friendliest of all the people I met in Rome. Right outside my window was a beautiful lemon tree, and I left my window open all night so the cool Italian air could sweep in and out.
Fresh lemon?
Rome had by far the most beautiful architecture I have ever seen, and the history is baffling.  It really made me feel small, the grandiosity of Rome. There is something so humbling in standing where gladiators stood, and in seeing buildings designed by Michelangelo himself.  I was able to see much of the city, including the Colosseum, Roman Forum, the Vatican, Trevi Fountain, the Italian Supreme Court House, churches that were thousands of years old.  I did not have time to see the Pantheon or to go inside any of the beautiful structures; something to do upon my return to Rome (I insured my return by tossing a euro into the fountain!).  




      
                         








          
                  
After flying for 24 hours, I had to sleep a bit which was hard to do after just arriving in Rome! Upon waking and eating breakfast, I had to bid farewell to the eternal city, and be off to Tel Aviv!

I must admit, I got a little tearing upon seeing Israel from the air.  I have been looking forward to coming to Israel since my sister moved here when I was 12.  I have dreamed about visiting Israel, and I have imagined how it would feel to actually arrive.  So far, Israel has exceeded my expectations.  I feel incredibly calm here. I know that Israel is a county surrounded by conflict and that in many ways it is dangerous- but I feel unexpectedly safe here.  My brother in law, Yaniv, had his mother, Simone, and his father, Yacove, pick me up from the airport and I have maybe never been so happy to see a familiar face!  I had met Simone during her visit to Louisiana about a year ago. I loved her then, and I love her even more now because she has welcomed me into her Kibbutz and house like family (well, I am family!).  She keeps saying this is MY HOME too for the next three months.  So sweet! 
The kibbutz is SO COOL!!! It is this incredible little community where everyone is close like family. There are people just walking around from house to house, or to the synagogue or one of the little shops. There is the coolest playground ever where the kids can climb these awesome rope swings or play football (soccer!). I cannot wait to play on the rope swings! There is even a petting zoo that is open all the time for you to just stop by and see the animals... goats, rabbits, Guinea pigs, and many animals I cannot name. Yaniv's sister Rachel took me on a tour of the kibbutz (her family lives just a few houses down from Simone and Yacove's house) and her children, Eedoe and Shachar, were very excited to tell me what they know to say in English and to hear what I can say in Hebrew.  Yacove is going to teach me the Hebrew alphabet so that I will be able to read Hebrew. This is a necessity! Many of the signs here offer an Arabic and Hebrew translation, but not English.
View from my bedroom window
Simon and Yaakov in front of their home.
Synagogue in the Kibbutz.
Today Simone and I are going to make the trip to Tel Aviv on the bus so that I will be familiar come Sunday when I have to travel to work by myself.  Also, Shabbot will begin at sundown, so I am very excited to experience my first Shabbot! (and say "shabbot shalom" to everyone because it is one of the few phrases I know).

That is all for now, as I have to go exploring! 

Shalom, Ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment